Cheddar Chili Braid
Hot roll mix gives me a head start when making this savory bread. I usually make it with a big pot of chili and serve thick warm slices for "dunking".
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies, drained
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the contents of the roll mix and yeast packets; stir in the water, one egg, cheddar cheese and chilies. Turn onto a floured surface; knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide into thirds. Shape each into a 14-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat remaining egg; brush over dough. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 222 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 397mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Cheddar Chili Braid in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.