- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 to 1 cup chicken broth
- Minced chives, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Combine the flour, mustard, paprika and salt; add to saucepan. Stir to make a smooth paste.
- Gradually add milk and soup; cook and stir until thick, about 10 minutes. Add the cheese and chicken broth; stir until cheese is melted. Garnish with chives if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forCheddar Cheese Soup
"This is what I've been looking for. I'm also from WI. and have been looking for the right recipe for awhile now. I will be making this soon. The only thing I would do different is add some cooked crumbled bacon to it! Yummy!"