- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 hot baked potatoes
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve 1-1/2 cups of cheese sauce with the baked potatoes. Refrigerate remaining sauce. Yield: 5-1/2 cups.
Reviews forCheddar Cheese Sauce
"I made this for a potato bar for teacher appreciation. I went ahead and doubled the cheese to make sure it was cheesy enough and I used whole milk. Next time I don't think I would need to quite double it and I would like to try sharp cheddar as opposed to mild."
"This is a great basic recipe that is so versatile! I added a can of tomatoes and green chiles to make my own queso sauce to dip tortilla chips."
"This was good and very easy. I used it for broccoli and the kids ate it! I also cut the recipe in half as I didn't need that much. It came out fine. I did add a bit more cheese, maybe a 1/4 cup more."
"I sauteed a little diced onion then proceeded with recipe. I am not much of whole milk drinker so i diluted my milk with water. YUMMY !"
"Was not nearly as cheesy as we would have liked. Next time I will probably 1-1/2 or double the amount of cheese."
"Added some extra cheese, ground mustard and a few splashes of worstershire sauce."