- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 5 cups cubed peeled potatoes
- 3 cups water
- 3 cups 2% milk, divided
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion and celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in 2 cups milk, bouillon, salt and pepper. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cheese and bacon; stir until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forCheddar Cheese Potato Soup
"Good home cooked meal from scratch.will do it again."
"I love this soup. I'm sure it's not particular healthy with the milk and cheese involved, however I add a lot of vegetables so it has more of a consistency of a stew rather than a soup. All in all, if you take out the vegetables and add something like only carrots and broccoli, this soup would be amazing as well. I also substituted the bacon with ham, and it works great as the ham doesn't get soggy like the bacon does if you leave it in.I love this soup!!"
"This was a delicious soup. I added ham chunks instead of bacon. My husband and I really enjoyed it."
"I feed a few vegetarians so I eliminated the bacon and the chicken bouillon and used vegetable broth instead of water. It was still very flavorful!"
"I love this recipe! The only thing I did differently was add broccoli and leave out the celery. It cooks up easy and is so delicious!!"
"I made a lot substitutions since I didn't have time to run to the grocery store. I also added some carrots. Instead of water and bouillon cubes, I just boiled the potatoes in 3 cups of chicken broth. Also, instead of 3 cups milk I used heavy whipping cream. I only had 4 oz of cheddar cheese left so for the other 12 oz I used velveeta. It's a delicious soup, perfectly rich and creamy. Enjoy!"
"Great tasting soup, my husband is a picky eater and he loved it!. But, it does not make 10-12 servings....not unless 1/2 cup is a serving!!! This one is a keeper recipe."
"i made this it was very good i had left over ham i used instead of bacon will make again all my kids loved it!!"