Cheddar Cheese & Beer Soup
The taste of beer is subtle, but it's just enough to complement the cheese in this rich and creamy soup. For a slightly sweeter version, you can use apple juice instead of beer. —Holly Lewis, Swink, Colorado
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3/4 pound potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 celery ribs, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup beer or apple juice
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add potatoes, celery, onions and carrots; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, mustard and cayenne until blended; gradually stir in stock. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add remaining ingredients; cook and stir until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 452 calories, 29g fat (17g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 1346mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 21g protein.
Originally published as Cheese Soup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.