- 1 large head cabbage, shredded
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large kettle or Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. Add 2 tablespoons butter; set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 6 tablespoons butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 3-qt. or 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, place half of the cabbage. Pour half of the sauce over cabbage. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheese. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forCheddar Cabbage Casserole
"We did not really care for this recipe. the sauce was pretty good though, kind of tasted like vegetable lasagna. Overall way too runny like the previous writer said."
"This was disappointing. I did change a few things though: I halved the recipe, but only used 4 Tbsp of butter, not 5, and I quadrupled the flour to 1/2 cup, hoping to have a thicker sauce than the recipe looked like it was going to make. It was still super runny; it was hard to get on a fork to eat it! I made it in an 8x8 glass pan and cooked it for 30 minutes, hoping some of the liquid would evaporate out. I also left out the bread crumbs, which might have absorbed some of the liquid, but I normally find buttered bread crumbs a waste of food, time, and dishes to clean.I like cabbage, but I won't be making this again."