- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, broccoli, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and nutmeg. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-8 minutes or until heated through. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forCheddar Broccoli Soup
"Really enjoyed this recipe. As always I tweek as I go to accommodate them to our taste. Added maybe an ounce of ham when I added the cheese and added a little american cheese just because we like the flavor. Added a little salt and pepper. My husband suggested next time to add some chicken instead of the ham for a different flavor. Great base recipe."
"My family loved this recipe!"
"I made this, and we really didn't care for the flavor. Plus it didn't make very much... but honestly, after we tried it, we weren't that disappointed about the portion."
"Agree that this is very bland. Added things to give it more flavor, but just not as good as other broccoli soups I have had."
"this was OK, but I was very disappointed. I love broccoli soup, but this was not very good."
"This was pretty good... Used a can of evaporated milk since I was running low on regular milk and it seemed to work well. Made the mistake of using cut broccoli rather than chopped since they didn't have the chopped stuff at the store I was at and I was too lazy to make a special trip. Anyway, I did chop it up a little but it really needs to be chopped up pretty finely for this kind of soup... The bigger chunks didn't get quite as soft as they should have been and the smaller pieces are just more palatable. Added a couple extra cloves of garlic because we love garlic in our house! Overall, it was a nice soup that I will likely make again sometime."
"<p>I made this soup with vegetable broth, used 2 tsp. soy sauce instead of Worcestershire, added salt, pepper, onion powder and fresh ground nutmeg. Being a vegetarian, I do not use Worcestershire as it contains anchovies. Soy sauce is an excellent substitute. I also used more flour in the roux, since I like a thick soup, and used half swiss cheese and half cheddar. My additions really increased the flavor.</p>"
"Made this tonight and thought it was kind of bland. Not enough flavor for my liking."