Cheddar-Bacon Swirled Rolls
I let the bread machine do the work to make these homemade rolls. Swirls of onion and bacon in a rich potato-cheddar dough make for an extra special bread basket. —Jeanne Holt, Mendota Heights, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup warm whole milk (70° to 80°)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons water
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons mashed potato flakes
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (equals 1/2 cup)
- In bread machine pan, place the first nine ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select dough setting (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1-2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Just before the final kneading (your machine may audibly signal this), add cheese.
- While dough is processing, prepare filling. In a large skillet, cook the onion, salt and pepper in butter over medium heat until onion is tender and translucent (do not brown). Stir in bacon bits. Remove from the heat. Cool.
- When cycle is completed, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 12x8-in. rectangle. Spread onion mixture to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- Cut into 9 rolls. Place cut side up in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm.