Cheddar-Almond Lettuce Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 9 cups torn romaine
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- HONEY-MUSTARD DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- In a small heavy skillet, combine almonds and sugar. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until nuts are coated and golden. Spread onto foil to cool. Divide romaine among salad plates; top with eggs and cheese.
- In a blender, combine the sugar, vinegar, honey, lemon juice, onion powder, celery seed, mustard, paprika and salt. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Drizzle over salads; sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 269 calories, 20g fat (5g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 18, 2015
We love this salad in our family. My sister made it for me when I was up visiting her and now I make it for my family. Love the combination of the dressing, cheese and especially those sweet almonds, so good!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.
Feb 11, 2015
This is my go-to salad dressing recipe. It always disappears when I make it, and the recipe is routinely requested! I love the sweet, tangy flavor; the sugared almonds paired with cheddar are a really nice flavor combination.
Jan 14, 2013
This was a great salad!
Sep 30, 2012
I made this salad for a family dinner and everyone loved it.
Aug 2, 2012
Great salad, but I found the dressing abit too tangy for my taste.
Nov 20, 2011
Great Salad! Dressing even keeps for about 1 week in the fridge.