Checkerboard Ice Cream Cake
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 3 cups cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 5 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
- 4 cups chocolate ice cream, softened
- In a large bowl, combine the cookie crumbs, sugar and butter; set aside 1 cup for topping. Press remaining crumb mixture onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of an ungreased 10-in. springform pan.
- Drop 1-3/4 cups vanilla ice cream by tablespoonfuls around edge of pan; flatten and smooth with a spatula into a 1-1/2-in.-wide ring. Drop 1 cup chocolate ice cream by tablespoonfuls next to the vanilla ring; flatten and smooth with a spatula into a 1-1/2-in.-wide ring. Fill in center with 1/4 cup vanilla ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Drop 1-3/4 cups chocolate ice cream by tablespoonfuls over vanilla ice cream around edge of pan; smooth with a spatula into a 1-1/2-in.-wide ring. Drop 1 cup vanilla ice cream by tablespoonfuls next to the chocolate ring; smooth with a spatula into a 1-1/2-in.-wide ring. Fill in center with 1/4 cup chocolate ice cream. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Repeat pattern of first layer of ice cream. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture. Cover and freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 2 months. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 485 calories, 26g fat (13g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 1, 2014
Jul 13, 2010
This was the hardest thing to do. I actually have a Pampered Chief checkerboard cake pans and seperator so I used those to build the cake. The ice cream was melting before I was half-way finished with one circle. So I ended up getting a gallon bag and put ice in it. Then put the bag on my granite counter top and put the pan on top to try and keep it cold. So the cake turned out ok - but I wanted to cover the cake with a ganache instead of cookies - just like the icre cream cakes in the stores. What a mess! I don't think I let the ganache cool down enough before pouring it on the ice cream. It was like watching Frosty the Snowman melt. :(So I may try this again - but I am going to have to come up with a better way to keep the ice cream from melting during the building stage.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.