- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium green tomatoes (about 1-3/4 pounds), cored and cut into thin wedges
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, mix the first six ingredients until blended. Add tomatoes; toss gently to combine.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry even with rim. Add filling.
- Roll remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edge. Cut slits in top.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°. Bake 35-45 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCharlotte's Green Tomato Pie
"It has been a long time since I have heard of a green tomato pie! In our family this pie was called green tomato minced pie and never to be confused with an English minced meat pie. In our family recipe (which differs from Charlotte's pie and all the other similar pies on this site) has the tomatoes chopped, contains raisins, uses vinegar instead of lemon and I believe some pickling spices. Usually, the mixture made a huge amount and therefore was canned to be used throughout the year. It was always served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We loved it! Thanks for reminding me of this wonderful memory!"