There's no reason the adults can't get in on Halloween fun, too! You can make the simple syrup and chill the champagne and gelatin mixture in advance, so you'll have time for other party prep work. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Featured In: 23 Must-Serve Halloween Party Drinks
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh gingerroot
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1-1/2 cups cold water
- 1-1/2 cups chilled Champagne
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and quartered
- Red food coloring, optional
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup sugar, water and ginger. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool to room temperature. Drain and discard ginger.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand 1 minute. Heat and stir over low heat until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in remaining sugar; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat; stir in Champagne. Pour into eighteen 2-oz. tall shot glasses. Refrigerate until partially set, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place strawberries in a food processor; process until blended. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in 2 tablespoons cooled simple syrup (discard or save remaining syrup for another use). Tint red if desired.
- To form blood in gelatin, fill a clean eye dropper with strawberry mixture. Insert into partially set gelatin and squeeze to release strawberry mixture while pulling dropper upward. Refrigerate until firm. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Champagne Blood Shots in Ultimate Halloween 2014 2014, p61