- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 chai-flavored black tea bags
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into 16 pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil; remove from heat. Add tea bags; let stand 10 minutes. Discard tea bags.
- Reheat the cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; let stand 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, until ganache thickens to a spreading consistency, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, cinnamon, cardamom, salt and pepper; cut in butter with vanilla until crumbly. Knead until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into two disks; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 15 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, gently roll dough to 1/8-in. thickness, lifting and rotating dough as needed. Cut with a 1-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until light brown, 10-12 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread 1 heaping teaspoon ganache on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Let stand until set.
- Freeze option: Prepare dough. Transfer wrapped disks to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator until soft enough to roll. Make ganache. Prepare, bake and fill cookies as directed. Yield: about 3-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forChai Tea Sandwich Cookies
"The filling and dough both tasted delicious, but the dough didn't hold together at all. I tried it twice and had to throw away both batches. I may try using these spice combinations in other recipes."