Celery Root Slaw
For a change from traditional cabbage slaw, try this easy celery slaw. It is delicious and has so much flavor.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 large celery root
- 6 celery ribs, julienned
- 1 cup julienned Swiss cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup minced fresh herbs (dill, tarragon, parsley and/or chives)
- Peel and julienne celery root. Blanch for 1 minute in boiling water; drain. Rinse in cold water; drain well. Place in a large salad bowl; add celery and cheese. In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper and herbs. Spoon over celery root mixture; toss gently. Chill at least 1 hour.
Editor's Note: Celery root can be planted from seed in spring and is harvested in late fall, or it may be purchased at most grocery stores and farmer's markets.
Originally published as Celery Root Slaw in Birds & Blooms June/July 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.