"I discovered this thick no-fuss soup more than 20 years ago," says Deborah Johnson of Calgary, Alberta. "Our family loves it and now our daughters prepare it themselves. It's a delicious way to finish off last night's potatoes."
Recommended: 25 Soups to Keep You Warm This Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery and mushrooms in butter until tender. Add the corn, soups, milk and potatoes. Cook and stir over medium heat until heated through. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Celery Potato Chowder in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p21