Celery En Casserole
I love to cook for big crowds, and I do a lot of outdoor entertaining during the summer. In winter, when it's too cold for outdoor eating, I still invite people over for meals indoors. I save elegant dishes such as this for those more intimate indoor dinners. This delicious, unusual casserole is a light vegetable side dish that is especially pretty on a holiday table.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 4-1/2 cups sliced celery
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 4 teaspoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook celery in water for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Add the water chestnuts, pimientos, almonds and soup. Pour into greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Combine topping ingredients; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 132 calories, 8g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 442mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Celery En Casserole in Country December/January 1990