Celebration Waldorf Salad
This is a great dish for Thanksgiving or Christmas. A variation of this can be made with dried cherries instead of the cranberries.—Susan McDonald, Germantown, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 4 cups chopped Gala apples
- 2-3/4 cups chopped Granny Smith apples
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- TARRAGON YOGURT DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced chives, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 10 Bibb lettuce leaves
- Place the apples in a large bowl; drizzle with lemon juice and toss to coat. Stir in cranberries and celery.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, yogurt, 1 tablespoon chives, parsley, tarragon, lemon peel, honey, salt and pepper. Stir into apple mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Just before serving, stir in walnuts. Serve on lettuce leaves; garnish with remaining chives.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 235 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 185mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as New Fangled Waldorf Salad in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.