Celebration Brussels Sprouts
This recipe hits all the flavor points and makes a fantastic Thanksgiving or Christmas side. Plus, you have to love a dish that requires minimal effort and doesn't take up oven space. Omit the bacon if you need a vegetarian option. —Lauren Knoelke, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced
- 2 large apples (Fuji or Braeburn), chopped
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled, divided
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or pecans, toasted
- Combine Brussels sprouts, apples, cranberries and 1/4 cup bacon. In a small bowl, whisk vinegar, syrup, oil, salt and pepper; pour over Brussels sprouts mixture, tossing to coat. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low, stirring once, until sprouts reach desired tenderness, 2-4 hours. To serve, sprinkle with hazelnuts and remaining bacon.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 204 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 375mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Feb 19, 2019
I described this to my sister as "Adult Wienies and Kraut". It's an odd mix of ingredients but it's very tasty! I did sub in canadian bacon instead of bacon, I wasn't sure if regular bacon would make it greasy.