- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine eggs, butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups flour; beat on medium speed 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into four portions. Shape each into an 18-in. rope. Place ropes side by side on a greased baking sheet. Beginning at one end, braid dough by placing the first rope over the second rope, under the third and over the fourth. Repeat three or four times, beginning each time from the same end. Pinch ends to seal; tuck under.
- Cover with a kitchen towel; let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk egg yolk with water; brush over braid. Bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf.
Reviews forCelebration Braid
"This has become one of my go-to recipes. It's fantastic to make for a company meal - very pretty and impressive looking. I sometimes just make the dough into three braids rather than four, because I find that easier to work with. I also will sometimes sprinkle something on top like sesame or poppy seeds."
"This is a fantastic recipe. The texture is a little dense with great flavor. It is very easy to make as well. I actually forgot about it one time I made this recipe, and it became huge. I baked it and it came out very light and fluffy. I use it for any family gathering or casual dinner. I have also modified it and separated the dough into muffin tins. It makes about 24 dinner rolls - perfect consistency for butter."
"Followed the recipe. Wonderful. Very light tasty bread."