Cedar-Plank Stuffed Portobellos
When we were newlyweds, my father-in-law made us stuffed portobello mushrooms. I’ve tweaked the recipe for our tastes. I like to serve it with salad and potato wedges. —Katie Stemp, Tacoma, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + soaking Grill: 15 min.
- 6 cedar grilling planks
- 1/2 pound fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches)
- Soak planks in water at least 1 hour. In a large skillet, cook chorizo and bacon over medium heat 10-12 minutes or until chorizo is fully cooked and bacon is crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1 tablespoon in pan.
- Add pepper and onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, pepper flakes and cayenne; cook 30 seconds longer. In a large bowl, combine meat mixture, vegetable mixture and cheese; set aside.
- Remove and discard stems from mushrooms; with a spoon, scrape and remove gills. Fill caps with meat mixture.
- Place planks on grill rack over direct medium heat. Cover and heat 3-4 minutes or until light to medium smoke comes from the plank and the wood begins to crackle. (This indicates the plank is ready.) Turn planks over; place mushroom caps on planks. Grill, covered, over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
Originally published as Cedar Plank Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms in Grill It 2016 Bookazine
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.