Cauliflower with White Cheddar Sauce
My mother served this cheesy cauliflower on Thanksgiving and Christmas for as long as I can remember. I've embellished the recipe over the years, but I've kept the family tradition around for 47+ years of marriage. When I visit my children and their families, this dish is a must for them as well! You can easily double the recipe for larger groups. —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 6 cups)
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- Paprika, optional
- In a large saucepan, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place cauliflower in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer; steam, covered, just until tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, mix cornstarch, salt and white pepper. Stir in milk and butter until smooth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 2-4 minutes.
- Stir in cheese until melted. Drain cauliflower. Transfer to a serving bowl; top with sauce. If desired, sprinkle with paprika.
Originally published as Mom C’s Recipe For Cheese Cauliflower in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017