Cauliflower with Almonds
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Cooked green beans, optional
- Trim leaves from cauliflower, leaving 1 in. of stem for support. Place in Dutch oven; add hot water that covers stem but does not touch head. Cover and steam until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; blend in flour and salt. Add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute longer. To serve, cut off stem and place cauliflower in a serving dish. Spoon the sauce over and sprinkle with cheese, almonds and paprika. Accompany with green beans if desired.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 81 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 3, 2014
Aug 11, 2010
This is such a pretty presentation that it's perfect fare for the holidays and parties. The topping for the cauliflower is very nice, but I don't think there is enough of it. I double that part and serve it in a chafing dish by itself (after I pour a little bit over the head of cauliflower and strew it with the almonds). This way diners can get as much sauce as they want without others getting stinted.