Cauliflower with Almonds
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- Cooked green beans, optional
- Trim leaves from cauliflower, leaving 1 in. of stem for support. Place in Dutch oven; add hot water that covers stem but does not touch head. Cover and steam until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; blend in flour and salt. Add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook and stir 1 minute longer. To serve, cut off stem and place cauliflower in a serving dish. Spoon the sauce over and sprinkle with cheese, almonds and paprika. Accompany with green beans if desired.
Nutrition Facts3 ounce-weight: 81 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 143mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 3, 2014
Aug 11, 2010
This is such a pretty presentation that it's perfect fare for the holidays and parties. The topping for the cauliflower is very nice, but I don't think there is enough of it. I double that part and serve it in a chafing dish by itself (after I pour a little bit over the head of cauliflower and strew it with the almonds). This way diners can get as much sauce as they want without others getting stinted.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.