Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted, adding hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 13, 2020
Wow, this soup was wonderful! So easy to put together and good flavour. The only things I did differently were to put a ¼ tsp of crushed red pepper flakes in, instead of the hot sauce and I chopped the vegetables fine with my hand blender after they were cooked and then added the milk mixture. This recipe went into my “keep” file!
Jan 12, 2020
Made it as stated, it was amazing ! My husband said please make that again!
Jan 9, 2020
Loved this soup! I roasted the cauliflower in olive oil with a shallot and a sweet green pepper for about 15 minute. Also used a very small amount of slab bacon sauteed with the cut up stems and leaves of the cauliflower. After roasting, I put the veggies in the pot with the broth
Dec 20, 2019
This soup is our absolute favorite soup! Makes you feel all warm and cozy on a cold day! I make it every week!
Dec 9, 2019
Absolutely delicious and so easy to make. This is a home run!!!
Dec 9, 2019
The easy recipe combined satisfying vegetable flavors in a light cheesy base. I measured my ingredients using 5 3/4 cups cauliflower (including some sliced stem pieces), 3/4 cup carrot, 1/2 cup celery (1 stalk), and 2 chicken cubes. Watch the cooking time for veggies to avoid mushy texture. I cooked mine 10-minutes and thought cauliflower was a bit too soft. Have cheese sauce ingredients measured and ready once the pot of vegges are truned on, this goes together quickly. I l enjoyed this soup because the recipe only used one cup of cheese, the calories were lower, and it avoided a thick, glue-like soup. Serves 4 as a main dish; they will want more!
Nov 24, 2019
Great recipe - easy and quick and result is homely and delicious
Nov 12, 2019
Yummy and a success with the family... used 1% milk and added some lentils to thicken. Increased pepper as had no chilli oil . added crushed coriander seeds cos I like them. Left out flour and would leave out butter next time . Gave each bowl a tiny bit of vintage cheddar so reduced fat. Used vegetarian oxo. (used this recipe to use up left over cooked cauliflower from Sunday lunch) Really Lovely will make again x
Nov 7, 2019
I made this exactly as written (except I subbed herb
Oct 28, 2019
Very good soup. I added 1/4 tsp. nutmeg because that's what I do...to cauliflower soup. I also used store brand EXTRA sharp Cheddar Cheese. Told once to always use extra sharp Cheddar ...to get more taste for the buck!