Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (about 2 quarts)
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, optional
- In a Dutch oven, combine the cauliflower, carrot, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender (do not drain).
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted, adding hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the cauliflower mixture.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 159 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 617mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 12, 2019
Yummy and a success with the family... used 1% milk and added some lentils to thicken. Increased pepper as had no chilli oil . added crushed coriander seeds cos I like them. Left out flour and would leave out butter next time . Gave each bowl a tiny bit of vintage cheddar so reduced fat. Used vegetarian oxo. (used this recipe to use up left over cooked cauliflower from Sunday lunch) Really Lovely will make again x
Nov 7, 2019
I made this exactly as written (except I subbed herb
Oct 28, 2019
Very good soup. I added 1/4 tsp. nutmeg because that's what I do...to cauliflower soup. I also used store brand EXTRA sharp Cheddar Cheese. Told once to always use extra sharp Cheddar ...to get more taste for the buck!
Oct 15, 2019
Made this soup and ate almost all of it myself because it taste fantastic.
Oct 14, 2019
I followed directions. It tastes very bland. Very disappointed.
Oct 12, 2019
Loved this soup. Easy to make. Will keep as a favorite soup recipe
Sep 21, 2019
Outstanding... a new family favorite. I did several things differently... by accident. I added 2 Tablespoons of chicken seasoning (Better than Bullion) instead of 2 teaspoons. Knowing that would be salty I didn't add any extra salt. I added 4 Tablespoons butter and flour... instead of 3. And still only used the 2 cups of mile. Added a bit extra cheese and cooked it for about 10 minutes. LOVED it. Not bland at all...
Aug 30, 2019
Love this soup. I just added a bit of shredded onion and coarsely mashed the cauliflower. Thank you.
May 13, 2019
I added more celery and cheese. Also added onions. Coarsely mashed. Excellent.
Apr 28, 2019
The recipe was blend so I ate dried herbs, more salt, onion and garlic powder. After doing that it was amazing