A homemade white sauce seasoned with Swiss cheese and garlic salt adds great flavor to this speedy vegetable bake.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 cups cauliflowerets
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 10 whole ripe olives
- 1 baby carrot
- In a large saucepan, cook cauliflower in a small amount of water for 6-7 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain well. In a medium saucepan, saute onion in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add salt, garlic salt and pepper. Place half of the cauliflower in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish; top with half of the sauce. Repeat.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Add olives for eyes and mouth and a carrot for the nose.
Originally published as Cauliflower Snowman in Quick Cooking November/December 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.