Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Mom used this recipe as a way to get my kids to eat a vegetable other than potatoes. It's now a family favorite and a "must" for Thanksgiving!—Carine Nadel, Laguna Hills, California
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3-1/2 to 4 pounds medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, place cauliflower in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 8-12 minutes or until very tender. Drain; cool slightly. Place in a blender; add the milk, butter, salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth.
- Drain potatoes and mash. Add cauliflower mixture and mix well. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 143 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 308mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Potato-Cauliflower Mashers in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009
Oct 30, 2013
I made half of the recipe and reduced the cauliflower a little and my husband liked them and didn't notice the added cauliflower. The potatoes were creamy and tasted good.