Cauliflower Hors D'oeuvres Recipe
These crispy baked tidbits are an appealing alternative to deep-fried fare. A coating of Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, basil and ground mustard infuses a burst of flavor into each bite. "I make these appetizers for parties at our condo, and it's always the first plate to be emptied," writes Dorothy McNeill from St. Petersburg, Florida.
- 8 cups cauliflowerets (about 3 pounds)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Meatless spaghetti sauce, warmed, optional
- 1. Place 1 in. of water and cauliflower in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and immediately place cauliflower in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the egg substitute, butter, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. In another bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, basil, salt, pepper and paprika. Dip cauliflower into the egg mixture, then coat with crumb mixture. Place in two ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden. Serve with spaghetti sauce for dipping if desired. Yield: 14 servings.
1/2 cup: 76 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Cauliflower Hors D'oeuvres
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC