- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken in florets
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, curry powder and white pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the cauliflower, onion, broth and bouillon. Cover and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes longer or until thickened. Reduce heat; add cheese and seasonings. Pour into cauliflower mixture. Simmer slowly for 30 minutes (do not boil). Yield: 6-8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews forCauliflower Cheddar Soup
"The flavor of this soup was delicious but the milk curdled after I added the cheddar cheese :-( What did I do wrong? I added the cheese very gradually on low heat. It was good Tillamook Sharp Cheddar. Thanks!"
"Good recipe, I sub 1can evaporated milk for 1cup of the milk, use 2 tsp dry mustard, 2 tsp nutmeg, gruyere cheese, then work in batches through a blender and add a lashing of heavy cream to finish. Great for everyday or as a first course!"
"Delicious. I used 4 cups of broth and 1 cup of half and half. Still delicious!"
"I love this recipe!! That said, I do end up at least doubling the spices because I love these flavors and like more of a punch. I also vary with the ratios of things based on what I have. If I don't have milk, I up the broth and use about 1 Cup of heavy whipping cream instead. I've made this soup several times and people eat it up. It's definitely one of my favorites."
"excellent. I did add a drop or two of hickory smoke for some depth. Perfect for a cold winter night :)"
"Made this but pur?ed the califlower, onions and broth before adding cheese mixture. Fantastic!"
"I made it as shown except for the parsley flakes which I couldn't find in my cupboard. It turned out very well, I will make again."
"I made it with fresh home grown cauliflower and it was amazing. It had such a wonderful flavor."
"Just made this soup and found it to be one of the best soups I have ever had! I only thing I left out was the curry only because I don't like it. Otherwise, I followed the recipe exactly and it was delicious! My friends love it too! Thank you so much for sharing!"