Cauldron Bread Bowls
Quick-rise yeast cuts the preparation time of this make-ahead bread. Hollow out the large rye rolls and fill with Bewitching Chili or dip of your choice for chips or veggies.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
Makes8 bread bowls
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3 teaspoons quick-rise yeast
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- In a bowl, combine 4 cups all-purpose flour, rye flour, yeast, salt and cocoa. Heat water, molasses and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into eight portions; shape each into a ball. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut the top fourth off each roll; carefully hollow out bottom, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Fill each bowl with about 1/2 cup chili. Serve bread tops on the side if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 375 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 892mg sodium, 68g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.