Cathy’s Tomato-Bean Salad
As far back as I can recall, my mother and grandmother made this salad...with a few of the ingredients "missing". You see, one night, I was preparing dinner for my future husband—who just happened to be a chef. Naturally, I wanted to impress him with my cooking! But my cupboards were bare—except for a can of "chick-peas" and one of olives. Into the salad they went. That was nearly 7 years ago now...and I'm still serving it the same way today!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced thick
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 can (6 ounces) medium pitted ripe olives, drained and halved
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 5 to 6 large fresh basil leaves, snipped or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a large salad bowl, layer beans, tomatoes, onion and olives. Combine all remaining ingredients; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and chill at least 3 hours or overnight. Serve chilled or at room temperature.