Catfish with Pecan Butter
—Dixie Terry, Goreville, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 catfish fillets (6 ounces each)
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges
- In a food processor, combine the butter, pecans, lemon juice and pepper sauce; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In a shallow dish, combine the eggs and milk. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, flour and seasonings. Dip fillets in egg mixture, then coat with the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 in. oil over medium heat. Fry fillets in batches for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove from the skillet and keep warm. Serve with pecan butter and lemon wedges.
Originally published as Pan-Fried Catfish with Pecan Butter in Taste of Home Hunting & Fishing Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.