Whenever we have a fish fry, we begin the meal with this dip. My children and grandchildren love it, and it gets rave reviews at picnic and potlucks. Someone always requests the recipe. —Edna Carter, West Point, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1 pound catfish fillets
- 2 teaspoons water
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages (6-1/2 ounces each) garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Dash paprika
- 1 can (6 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 can (6 ounces) small shrimp, rinsed and drained
- Assorted fresh vegetables
- Place catfish in a 2-qt. microwave-safe dish; drizzle with water. Cover and microwave on high for 4-6 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain and discard cooking liquid. Using a fork, flake fish into small pieces; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and spreadable cheese until smooth. Add the onions, parsley, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings and mix well. Stir in the crab, shrimp and catfish. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Serve with vegetables.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 201 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Catfish Spread in Country August/September 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.