Everyone will be purring with delight when they see—and taste—this cat cake. We used a store-bought cake mix for the body and head and purchased sponge cake for the ears, paws and tail. Then they whipped up fluffy frosting to serve as "fur" and fashioned features from candy.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Recommended: 30 Favorite Halloween Cookies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) yellow cake mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 4 individual cream-filled sponge cakes
- 3 brown M&M's
- 2 pieces shoestring licorice, about 2 inches long
- 1 large pink candy heart
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Grease and flour 3-cup and 2-qt. ovenproof bowls. Pour 1 cup of batter into the 3-cup bowl and remaining batter into the 2-qt. bowl.
- Bake small cake at 350° for 30-35 minutes and large cake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool each cake for 10 minutes before removing from bowl to wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add the marshmallow creme and almond extract; mix well. Beat in whipped topping. Set aside 1/2 cup. Beat remaining whipped topping mixture into melted chocolate.
- Place cakes domed side up on an 18-in. x 12-in. covered board. Cut one creamed-filled sponge cake in half widthwise; place halves in front of large cake for from paws. Cut ends off another sponge cake; trim ends to form triangles. Set triangles aside for ears.
- Arrange the remaining sponge cakes behind large cake to form the tail. frost cat's face and ears with reserved white frosting. Frost rest of cat with chocolate frosting. Place the ears on head. Arrange M&M's, licorice and candy heart to form the face. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Cat Cake in Country Woman March/April 2004, p24
Reviews forCat Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 31, 2010
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2009