Cast Iron Nutmeg Coffee Apple Cake
I'm not a great baker. I am not patient enough to measure out every ingredient- I like to be able to add a dash of this or that. However, I do love coffee. So in an effort to practice my baking I used up the morning's last bit of coffee to make a coffee cake- literally. It is super moist and crumbly and tastes like you dunked your cake right into a cup of hot joe. You can add pecans to the apples if you want some crunch. Also can be served with ice cream then the coffee drizzle if you need more sugar. ;)
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 cups chopped peeled Gala apple
- 1/4 cup brewed coffee
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 large egg white, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. In an 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, melt butter over low heat. Add apples and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Cook and stir until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in coffee; remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, beat oil, sugar, egg, egg white, vanilla and remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and nutmeg; gradually beat into oil mixture. Gently spread over apple mixture.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for drizzle, in a small saucepan, bring coffee and cream to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in confectioners' sugar. Let stand 10 minutes. Drizzle over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 532 calories, 27g fat (6g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 284mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cast Iron Apple Nutmeg Coffee Cake in Cast Iron Winter 2019