I got this recipe from my sister...Our families think it's very tasty. Using prepared spaghetti sauce saves the time-consuming step of making your own sauce. --Nancy Schmidt, Delhi, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, water and seasonings.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes and meat mixture; repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until the potatoes are tender.
Serve Casserole Italiano with warmed breadsticks and tomato wedges drizzled with Italian salad dressing.