I got this recipe from my sister...Our families think it's very tasty. Using prepared spaghetti sauce saves the time-consuming step of making your own sauce. --Nancy Schmidt, Delhi, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the spaghetti sauce, water and seasonings.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half of the potatoes and meat mixture; repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 50 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until the potatoes are tender.
Serve Casserole Italiano with warmed breadsticks and tomato wedges drizzled with Italian salad dressing.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 353 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 1034mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Originally published as Casserole Italiano in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.