Chow mein noodles and cashews give this dish a delectable crunch. Whenever I take it to potlucks, it disappearers before my eyes. You can make the casserole and freeze it; stir in the chow mein noodles just before serving.—Marion Petersson, Wetaskiwin, Alberta
Recommended: 65 of Our Favorite Casserole Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces fine egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 package (6 ounces) chow mein noodles
- 1 cup whole cashews
- In a skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the mushrooms; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the soup, milk, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and pepper. In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer egg noodles, beef mixture and soup mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and chow mein noodles.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cashews. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Cashew Noodle Casserole in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p232