- 2 teaspoons plus 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups salted cashews
- Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan with foil and grease the foil with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, cayenne, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cashews and bring to a boil; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 280° (soft-crack stage), about 6 minutes.
- Immediately pour into prepared pan; spread with a metal spatula. Cool completely. Break into pieces. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/4 pounds.
Reviews forCashew Crunch
"I wish I could rate one less star. This recipe is awful - I destroyed all ingredients and it was a total loss. Way too many nuts, not enough liquid, and no temperature instructions as to whether to heat up fast or slow. The whole thing ended up burning no matter how much I stirred without ever reaching 280 degrees - what a mess. Hope I can get this smell out of my kitchen and recover the pan..."
"Great flavor.... But I don't know what I did wrong, but I could've used a third of the nuts that the recipe called for. I had so many nuts it wouldn't spread, I tried smoothing it out with me hands, but that didn't work very good either. I'll make it again, but decrease the nuts and the pepper."
"Outstanding! Cayenne is the perfect addition. Nice sweet with a little bite"
"I loved this stuff and so did all my friends. I left out the cayenne as I don't like anything too hot, and it was so good without it I made another batch almost immediately. That's almost gone and I'm prepared to make another batch. Have given almost all of it away and now I want some! Also gave a friend the recipe as she was having trouble making peanut brittle with the baking soda and all that, and this is so much easier!"
"Loved this recipe. My family loves spicy food, and a spicy candy with nuts, fantastic!"
"I agree! way tooooooo much cayenne! Will try again without!"
"This is a delicious recipe, the only reason I gave it 4 stars is because its hot! Do yourself a favor, and leave out the cayenne pepper!! Looking forward to the second batch!"