- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup salted cashews
- Hot cooked rice
- Mix first four ingredients until smooth. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry chicken until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat; stir-fry mushrooms, pepper, water chestnuts and ginger until pepper is crisp-tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir broth mixture and add to pan with green onions; bring to a boil. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and cashews; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forCashew Chicken with Ginger
"This recipe was excellent. Since my family does not like things too salty, I did cut the soy sauce by half.That is the only adjustment I made and I have never had better Cashew chicken!"
"This recipe is very easy and quite tasty! Everyone loved it! I'll be making this one again!"
"After reading reviews about blandness, I changed a few things in this really great basic recipe. I marinated the cut up chicken pieces in a mixture of soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, and sriracha sauce for several hours. When I stir fried, I added more fresh garlic (three small cloves crushed?) and another squeeze of sriracha. I also followed the suggestion of adding the green onion at the end. Turned out fantastic."
"My Husband really liked this dish. The only thing I would recommend is if you like ginger you may want to add a little more. We love fresh ginger, therefore we were craving more ginger flavor. I also did not have a green pepper on hand so I julieanned some carrots which turned out well and added a nice hue to the dish."
"Good, but I used snap peas instead of green pepper"
"I admit I gave this a 5 star BECAUSE of some additions I made. I added additional ginger, as well as some sesame oil and minced garlic. I also waited to add the green onions at the end. I've made it twice now with my changes and it's fabulous!"
"We loved this AFTER I doctored up the sauce. I added salt, pepper and Asian Sesame Seed dressing and some other *stuff* to give it more of a kick. Family said to definitely make up again, but be sure to write up all of the changes to the sauce. ;-)"
"We just got our Simple and Delicious magazine, and couldn't wait to try this. I didn't have fresh ginger so I used ground ginger. Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and yummy recipe. A real keeper!"
"If I were to make this again I would definitely add some fresh garlic, some sherry and salt and pepper. I would also decrease the broth and mushrooms. It was a bit too bland for my taste, but is a good starting point to build from."
"I made this meal on a whim, I didn't have the water chestnuts available but my husband LOVED it! I also did not add the rice, it was perfectly wholesome for a quick lunch meal."