As a home economics teacher, I gave presentations on cooking with microwave ovens when they first became popular. Back then, I shared this pretty salad and warm citrus dressing with my students. It remains one of my favorites today. -Pamela Martin, Huntsville, Texas
Recommended: 65 Chicken Dinners Ready in 3-Steps (or Less!)
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Dash pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces)
- 4 cups ready-to-serve salad greens
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/3 cup cashews
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, orange zest, basil and pepper. Gradually whisk in pineapple juice until blended.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until boils and is thickened, stirring every 30 seconds. Set aside, stir occasionally.
- Place chicken in a greased 8-in. square microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave on high for 3-5 minutes or until juices run clear, turning every 2 minutes. Let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Cut into thin strips.
- Arrange the salad greens, chicken, oranges and reserved pineapple on individual plates. Drizzle with warm dressing. Sprinkle with cashews. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Cashew Chicken Toss in Quick Cooking May/June 2002, p29