Cashew Chicken for Two
Crunchy cashews, tender chicken, celery and mushrooms make a filling and easy to prepare stir fry. This is a big hit with my wife and me, says Richard W. Borchers of Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 5 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/3 cup lightly salted cashews, toasted
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients until smooth; set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute celery and onion in 2 teaspoons oil until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, cook chicken in remaining oil for 5-6 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to the pan. Add the peas, broth, mushrooms and celery mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cashews; serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 573 calories, 26g fat (4g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 1425mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 36g protein.
Originally published as Cashew Chicken For Two in Cooking for 2 Summer 2009
Dec 28, 2010
It was pretty bland. I would add much more ginger, and maybe garlic.
Sep 29, 2009
My husband is not a chicken or oriental cuisine fan but he enjoyed this and said he would like to have it again.