"Salted nut rolls were my mother's favorite candy bar, so I always think of her when I make these sweet snacks," shares Darlene Brenden of Salem, Oregon. "Youngsters can help knead and shape the marshmallow mixture and later roll the treats in nuts after they have been dipped in caramel."
Recommended: 20 Barks & Brittles for Extra-Happy Holidays
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 jar (7 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 cups chopped salt cashews
- In a bowl, combine the first four ingredients; knead until smooth(mixture will be dry). Shape into eight rolls 5 in long x 1/2 in. in diameter (do not butter hands before shaping the mixture). Wrap in waxed paper and freeze until firm, about 2 hours. Place caramels in a shallow microwave-safe dish; microwave, uncovered, on high until melted. Add water; stir until smooth. Carefully dip the frozen rolls into the caramel mixture, then roll in cashews. Wrap in waxed paper and refrigerate 1 hour. Cut into 1/3-in. slices. Yield: 3-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Cashew Candies in Quick Cooking November/December 1998, p41