Carrots and Onions
"I buy a box of Vidalia onions every year, and this is one of my favorite ways to fix them," notes Norma Essex of Porthill, Idaho. Rosemary and thyme season the veggies in the quick-to-fix side dish that's great for a holiday meal or every day.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup sliced sweet onion
- 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Cut onion slices in half. Place onion and carrots in a steamer basket. Sprinkle with rosemary and thyme. Place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water; bring to a boil.
- Cover and steam for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove to a serving bowl. Toss with the parsley, butter, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 69 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Carrots and Onions in Light & Tasty December/January 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.