Carrot Zucchini Couscous
Couscous is a nice change from rice and potatoes, and the vegetables make it a colorful addition to your plate. The quick-cooking convenience is also a plus!—Kim Wenzel, Jefferson, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 medium carrots, julienned
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/2 cup julienned sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 package (10 ounces) uncooked couscous
- In a large skillet, saute the carrots, celery, red pepper and onion in butter until crisp-tender. Stir in the zucchini, basil, parsley and salt; saute 2 minutes longer. Add broth; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 137 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 310mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Vegetable Couscous in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010