A handy spice cake mix gets a tasty treatment when dressed up with shredded carrots and chopped walnuts. The mini carrot cakes are eye-catching, too, when decorated with cream cheese frosting carrots and parsley sprigs for the green tops. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 17 Recipes for Easter Cupcakes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (16 ounces) cream cheese frosting
- Orange paste food coloring
- Fresh parsley sprigs
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions. Fold in carrots, walnuts and cinnamon.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Frost cupcakes with 1-1/4 cups frosting. Place remaining frosting in a small resealable bag; tint with orange food coloring. Cut a small hole in the corner of bag; pipe a carrot on the top of each cupcake. Add a parsley sprig for greens. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Carrot-Topped Cupcakes in Quick Cooking March/April 2001, p13