This recipe is rooted in my backyard garden. It's an excellent way to dress up veggies. My six grandchildren are happy to eat their carrots when they're dished up like this.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a bowl, soak bread crumbs in milk. Lightly beat egg yolks; add to crumbs with carrots, celery, parsley, onion, salt and pepper. Mix well. In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. Gently fold into carrot mixture. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 84 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 396mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Carrot Souffle in Country Woman Christmas 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.