"The raisins in this colorful rice pilaf add a touch of natural sweetness, while almonds add fun crunch," relates Lauretta Musser of Apollo, Pennsylvania. "A hint of curry boosts the flavor, too."
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch julienne strips
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the water, carrots, rice, raisins, bouillon, curry powder, salt and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle with almonds before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Carrot Raisin Pilaf in Light & Tasty February/March 2002, p49