Carrot Raisin Muffins
Patti Wolfe Bailey of Chanute, Kansas shares these moist muffins that are full of sweet raisins and carrots. "My husband likes them at breakfast along with his cereal," she notes.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine eggs, honey, yogurt, oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until blended. Fold in carrots, raisins and nuts if desired. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 189 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 226mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Originally published as Carrot Raisin Muffins in Quick Cooking November/December 2001