Carrot Pepper Skillet
You can prepare stuffed peppers on the stovetop, cooked alongside nicely seasoned carrots, with this creative recipe shared by Esther Shank. "This dish is attractive, delicious and goes together in a hurry," promises the Harrisonburg, Virginia cook.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 medium green peppers
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato juice
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt or salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 4 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds and membranes; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the rice, onion, tomato juice, 1/4 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon sugar. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Spoon into peppers. Place around the edge of a 10-in. skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots, butter, ginger, nutmeg and remaining salt and sugar. Place in the center of the skillet. Pour remaining water around peppers; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drizzle corn syrup over the carrots.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 297 calories, 8g fat (0 saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 19g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1-1/2 meat, 1 vegetable.
Originally published as Carrot Pepper Skillet in Quick Cooking September/October 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
More from Taste of Home
What’s the Secret to Perfect Burgers at Home? A Former Restaurant Chef Shares 11 Expert Burger Grilling Tips