Carrot Parsnip Puree
The home economists in our Test Kitchen came up with this good-tasting, good-for-you side dish that’s a nice change from mashed potatoes. The natural sweetness of the parsnips and carrots is complemented by hint of ground nutmeg. Don’t want to drag out your food processor? Mash the cooked vegetables with a potato masher instead.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups sliced fresh carrots
- 2 cups sliced peeled parsnips
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Place 2 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Add parsnips; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Drain.
- Place the vegetables in a food processor; add butter, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 93 calories, 4g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 171mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Pureed Carrots and Parsnips in Simple & Delicious September/October 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.