Carrot ‘n’ Broccoli Bake
This recipe was originally from my aunt, who gave it to my mother, who then gave it to me. For an extra surge of flavor, I changed it a little by adding the onions. This recipe is a delicious side dish to a meal.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 small carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 ounces process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers (about 12 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place carrots in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- In an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish, layer the broccoli, carrots, onion and cheese. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss the cracker crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 270 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 672mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 6g fiber), 10g protein.
Originally published as Carrot & Broccoli Vegetable Sidedish in Reminisce Extra November 2006